If youre a crack addict, you appreciate the warm feeling of strolling your mouse towards your Tumblr shortcut and making that crisp click. Or perhaps youre the type to enter a frenzy of frantically typing variants of t./umblrsdas/ until youre corrected with the search term Tumblr, to then clamber into the den and eat forbidden fruit after fruit.
Yes, I did convey the similitude of crack cocaine and Tumblr. But, if you do use Tumblr, you will know that the affects of Tumblr are are addictive you will find yourself crawling back for more lifestyle images and streetsnaps.
But, perhaps, youd like to start selling crack? I started selling crack a year ago, and youll still get that same goodness you get from being a regular Tumblr user, but you have the benefits of (Tumblr) fame and money (if you want it).
Sure, everyone sells the odd bit of weed but read this with a warm cup of coffee and Ill tell you how to become the Scarface of Tumblr. Oh, and youll hear no more drug references. Im running out of ideas, its probably boring you and I also dont want to get arrested for teaching you how to sell crack.
8 Tumblr Blog Tips
1. Buy a custom domain. Most Tumblr blogs dont have their own domains, and thus if you purchase one for your blog, you will create a positive contrast. Creating contrast—standing out—is very important when you are amongst the millions; furthermore, having your own domain name adds a layer of credibility to your Tumblr because it requires the investment of your own money. Itll thus be obvious that youve got something going on that isnt run-of-the-mill, as the invesmtent of your money conveys the fact that you are committed to publishing good content. By the way: good content is what, in essence, Tumblr is about.
2. Pick a topic. There are so many Tumblr blogs that do not have a topic, or niche, and are rather a random compilation (an accumulation, rather) of hipster/edgy photographs. Youll notice that these Tumblr blogs arent popular because theyll often be begging for follows; the reason that these blogs dont gather much attention is because they do not appeal to a certain audience. For instance, if I were to be interested in Hip-Hop music and I came across a picture of Rick Ross amongst heaps of cat images and edgy quotes, I wouldnt follow the Tumblr blog that posted it for the sole reason that it would result in the cluttering of my dashboard.
So, pick one sort of topic, genre of music etc. for your Tumblr to revolve around. It could be a lifestyle, a movement, a sport, but whatever it is you must ensure that there is enough good content for you to publish. You dont want to be a week into your Tumblr blog and have run out of all images, videos, stories and quotes.
3. Choose a beautiful theme. Its pretty much a fact that Tumblr is based around the idea of beauty. Almost everything there is beautiful, from the photos to the themes. If its not mainstream beautiful its some sort of deep beauty. Ah, yes, the themes. I think Id be right in saying that there are tens of thousands of themes to pick from. Im not trying to pick a fight with any theme designers, but there are only about 100 worth choosing from in both the free and premium category. If you use Tumblr, youll be used to finding a blog and then frantically clicking in the region of the x button because of the blogs hideous theme. Pink, blue and orange. Whats going on here?
Its very clear whats going on: the blogger clearly didnt understand the idea of Tumblr being minimalist and easy. Nothing is minimalist nor easy about a flashing red blog with its images and text displayed horizontally. Its more, well, horrifying. What you want to do is choose a theme that matches this criteria of three:
- use of only two colours in total
- text on the page can be read easily
- content loads vertically
- seamless loading of content as you scroll down
4. Google Analytics is free, use it. If youve ever run a website or a blog before, youll know exactly what this is; its Googles web application that allows you to analyse all of the traffic that you receive say goodbye to the tacky website counter widget you would have used. This application is used worldwide by some of the largest corporations, but it remains to be free and accessible with just a Google account.
If you think that you dont need to use Google Analytics, and youre fine with tracking your progress by simply checking your follower count, Ill give you an example of how handy it is to have it; for example, if youre trying to find the best method of promotion for your Tumblr and you test Facebook and Twitter, you can check what traffic is actually coming from either source and thus what to continue using or dump. You can get even more specific, and look at the part of a city your visitors are from and how long they spent on your Tumblr.
5. Add pages to your Tumblr. Just as with the custom domains, the ability to use pages on Tumblr blogs is not often employed; theres a blatantly identifiable reason for this, and its that there isnt much to say about the predominant amount of Tumblr blogs there just isnt enough substance. Considering that you are reading these Tumblr blog tips to build a brilliant blog, you probably dont want to be a part of that majority. If that is so, you must be passionate about your topic and have something to say. Exert this passion and build two pages: an about page which discusses your topic (and ties in your influences, your objectives, what motivates you and your experiences); and a contact page which lists all of the methods of contact and engagement. Use this opportunity to encourage visitors to like your Facebook page or follow you on Twitter.
6. Share your content on Facebook and Twitter. Use these two social media websites to keep your fans/followers engaged with your content by employing a feature that Tumblr offers, which is to automatically post your new content to the platforms. This will unvieil your Tumblr blog to an entire audience that otherwise wouldnt have seen your blog. If you consistently post high quality content then you are bound to interest your friends on Facebook and followers on Twitter, and you are likely to see them sign up to Tumblr and follow you (make sure you have the option to promote Tumblr to non-users enabled).
7. Disqus comments. Disqus comments is a plugin that is built into Tumblr but has to be enabled, which you do by simply choosing to customise your theme and then choosing a Disqus shortname. Having a comments section is important because it engages your visitors and your followers with discussion.
I explain the benefits of having a thriving comments section and how to achieve it in the article Reform Comments into Discussions
8. Use tags. The ability to add tags to the content that you submit is not always used, but this is acting entirely against the idea of promoting your Tumblr blog: if you do not give your content tags, people wont be able to find it when they search for relevant tags. Using tags is a brilliant way of promoting your blog within Tumblr; for instance, if you run a blog about horse-riding and everyone that searches horse finds a beautiful image that you have submitted of a horse, you would be gaining the most ideal form of exposure.
Thats it. Go and build your Tumblr blog! Please share your experiences and ask any questions that pertain the topic of this article, Ill be happy to respond to them.